Dish drying racks work like wonders when it comes to organizing a kitchen. They come off all shapes and sizes with a huge amount of variations.
You may have got just the perfect piece that suits your kitchen. But the problem arises when it comes to cleaning them.
Even the slightest reluctance can cause damage to the lovely piece that you have just bought. Therefore, the main concern is how to clean a dish drying rack?
Lots of questions are bumping on your mind, right? If so, trust me, you are not the only one.
So, don’t you worry as we are going to guide you all the way through every single detail you need to know while cleaning your dish drying rack?
When to Clean Dish Drying Rack?
There are no hard and fast rules about how often you would likely have your rack cleaned.
However, routine cleaning is very much effective. Try cleaning it once every week and soon you’ll observe a huge difference.
Try to catch the details. If you notice any kind of rust or dirt, immediately get rid of it.
In this way, your rack will shine like a new one with a longer lifespan and you will find it very easy to clean dish drying rack as well.
Ingredients needed to clean a Dish Drying Rack
Too confused about what to buy for better cleaning? Well, you really do not have to sweat about it.
Look around you and you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
For starters, let’s take regular dish soaps and brushes. They are very handy and affordable. And they’ll work just fine for you.
However, for elongated cleansing, you do need a bunch of ingredients to buy from the nearby drugstore.
Bleaches, vinegar jars, acids and hard-bristled brushes of several sizes are some of the necessary ingredients for deep cleansing.
Related Post: Is a dish drying rack important?
How to Clean a Dish Drying Rack? – Step-By-Step Guideline
There is not any definite rule for the best way to clean dish drying rack. However, the circumstances may vary.
The cleaning procedure depending on different circumstances is discussed here for you to have a better observation.
Regular Dirt Cleaning
Dish drying racks are definitely not like those appliances that you can keep away in a sound place.
They are used every single day and they get dirty every day as well. In this situation, you cannot but have a regular cleaning session for your rack.
It can be ordinary dust or even any food particle. No matter what that is, it shouldn’t be a bother if you take it away just in time.
- Carefully take the trays away from your rack and start by cleansing one tray at a time for better results.
- You can use your regular dishwashing soap or detergent in this situation. Gently scrub the trays with a soft brush and take away the dirt with it.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water or even with a slight bit of vinegar. Repeat the process for all the trays.
- After that, use a towel and dry out everything before placing them in the rack again.
Action Against Limescale and Mildew
If you notice any signs of growing limescale or mildew on your rack, immediately take action.
- One of the best ways to fight against them is by using bleach. Dilute the bleach in a tub filled with water.
- After that, dip the trays one by one into the mixture and allow them to rest. Soon the mildews will absorb the solution.
- Wait for a while and then use a clean mop or even a brush and gently take away all those gooey craps.
- After finishing the cleaning, rinse thoroughly and dry them out.
Prevention from Rusting and Molding
You may have bought a stainless steel rack but still observe signs of rusting. Well, this is a common scenario and there are ways to deal with it.
Oxalic acids are the most effective solutions to handle rusting. You can buy them in a liquid solution or even in a powder form.
- Simply take the oxalic acid diluted in a mop or brush and gently start rubbing it across the affected areas.
- Wash the whole thing with water and you are all good to go.
- In the case of mold, you can use a vinegar solution. Rather than scrubbing it directly, try soaking it for a while.
- This will allow you to clean it all up more efficiently. You may even use an old toothbrush for cleaning.
- Do not rush things up. Take your time while cleaning and ensure that all of them are removed.
- Cleanse everything with lukewarm water and dry everything up by using a clean towel or a mop.
- Remember to sanitize your rack well. Otherwise, they can come back real soon and gradually hamper your rack.
Useful Hacks and Tips
Apart from the regular cleansing, some quick hacks and tricks can be very handy for you.
For example, placing a cookie sheet just above the tray on your rack will reduce the possibility of building up mildew at a very high rate.
If the cookie sheet is not available you can also try a towel. It will soak the extra moisture and keep your rack clean and dry.
Moreover, try organizing the dishes in a vertical manner so that they are not stacked or clustered in the same spot.
This will allow the dishes to dry faster and balance a healthy condition for the rack.
Related Post: How to Clean a Plastic Dish Drying Rack?
So many steps and precautions to maintain a healthy dish cleaning rack! Definitely, sounds like a tough call right?
Well, things may seem pretty clumsy to you at first but we are sure that you will eventually get a hang of it.
Just try to keep yourself regular and there shouldn’t be much of a problem. But, do remember that these are not the only ways that you can apply.
Keep on trying experimenting on how to clean a dish drying rack? and you never know, you may come off with a totally new technique of your own.