To increase the durability of a kitchen knife taking proper care is a must. And cleaning accurately is the main action that makes sure your knife is well maintained.
Well, a majority of the knife users clean their knives in the wrong way. They do it as they don’t know how to clean a kitchen knife. They apply the same cleaning process that they do for other kitchen utensils.
As a result, they end up with a rusty and sharpless blade after some months of using a new one. Did you experience the same?
No worries, this content is going to help you to know how to clean kitchen knives rust with some kickass knife cleaning remedies for a sharper blade.
Here you go.
How to Clean a Kitchen Knife in Details
The Baking Soda Wash
If you have a rusty knife and about to throw it because of its bad performance, this remedy can absolutely be for you. Just read out these step by step easy tricks and get the sharpness back.
Required Ingredients: To do the cleaning you need a flat surface to work on and a sponge or scrubber and some baking soda. A kitchen towel is also needed during the process.
- Step 1: first of all put the knife on the table or flat surface. Now, wipe the blade with a wet towel to remove dust.
- Step 2: Now, apply some baking soda on to the knife and add a little water on it. Now, let it sit for a few minutes.
- Step 3: Next, take the scrubber and make it wet with some water. Don’t get it too wet. After that, start scrubbing the blade in a back and forward motion.
- Step 4: Scrub the rusty area with more effort. When done, turn the knife over and apply some baking soda and water again on that side. Now, scrub it again.
- Step 5: Stop scrubbing when your knife looks clear and fresh. Then, wash the knife with water and take a kitchen towel and wipe it off. You are done.
The Lime Juice Remedy
This is another easy trick with two very common kitchen ingredients. If you don’t have baking soda this process is going to be your next best option. Let’s know the process.
Required Ingredients: For this cleaning procedure you will need a lemon, salt, and a scrubber. And lastly, a kitchen towel or a paper towel is needed.
- Step 1: Take the knife you want to clean and wash it off with some lake warm water. Now, set it on a flat surface.
- Step 2: Sparkle some slat on to the knife blade. Now take a lemon and squeeze it over the blade where you applied salt. Don’t put a lot of juice.
- Step 3: After that, take the scrubber and scrub the blade accordingly. Clean the handle area as well.
- Step 4: When done, turn over the knife and do the same with the other side of the knife.
- Step 5: Lastly, wash the knife off and wipe with a dry towel and see the sparkly blade of your knife.
The Vinegar Method
You have already known about two super cool knife cleaning processes. Still, if you are looking for an easier option, this one is sure to be the desired one for you.
Required Ingredients: To follow this method, you need some distilled white vinegar, some water, scrubber, one flat dish, and a kitchen towel.
- Step 1: Firstly, take a dish according to your knife’s size. Now, add some distilled white vinegar and the same amount of water into that dish.
- Step 2: After that, put the knife into that dish and make sure the knife goes under the liquid you added in it.
- Step 3: Now, Let it sit for 5 minutes. In case of heavy rust 10 minutes or more is recommended.
- Step 4: After some minutes take the knife out and scrub it well with a scrubber. You can use a brush to clean it as well.
- Step 5: When all the dirt, rust and stain is gone wash and wipe it off with a dry towel. It’s ready for a better chop.
Tips for Daily Clean
As we have suggested some super effective remedies to deal with a dirty knife, but following a correct daily cleaning procedure is also mandatory in order to increase its longevity. So, here are some tips for you.
- Tip 1: Don’t put the knife in the dishwasher. Along with damaging the blades, this process can be a very dangerous one for you as well.
- Tip 2: Avoid applying any kind of soap or dish washer. It damages the sharp blade and causes rust.
- Tip 3: Don’t soak it in water. After working with any watery ingredients try to dry it immediately after you finish your work.
- Tip 4: Clean your knife with lake warm water after every day work. It’s the best advice for daily clean.
- Tip 5: Cleaning the handle of the knife is also important. Make sure it’s properly cleaned for a better grip.
Kitchen knives are one of the most used kitchen tools we work with daily. So, it’s important to take a good care of it. Cleaning your knife in a proper way like the ones suggested here can help you get a better experience and happy chopping.
Hopefully, you know now how to clean a kitchen knife. Now it is your turn. Apply these tips to have a very cleaned and sharp knife.
Thanks for being with us and hope the content was helpful.